Tuesday, May 12, 2009

the unfortunate key


It has been almost a year now and still that unfortunate moment haunts me every time the 'key' gets turned.


Like any normal day I turned the ignition of my car in the garage. After a couple of attempts the engine roared but as if something was blocking it from cycling.



I immediately switched off the ignition pausing for a moment what could that be?
Then I could hear a faint sound of something knocking inside . . . . I knew this was tragedy !
Opened the bonnet and there was blood splattered all over with traces of small hair, for a minute I could not see where & what animal that was.
Then as I explored deep beloe where the belts are placed, I could see a severely wounded full grown rat which was stuck in between the chassis and the crash bumper of the car.
This was the most horrifying sight I ever witnessed in my life.
There was blood dripping from its face, it was alive, I could see its eyes were staring at me as if begging for mercy, but there was just no way I could get the poor thing out.


Finally after 5mins of struggle I could manage to get him out.


I reached out for a shoe box from my house and drove him to the nearest clinic 'Pet & Vet where his condition was examined and it was decided to put him to sleep.


This horrific accident could have been averted had I been a little more responsible.


Many times, rats in the past have chewed up my car wires etc in my garage and so there was every possibility of them hiding inside.
If only I was a little careful with looking around before turning the 'key' it could have saved a life.
A lesson learnt but at such a heavy price.


Pictures above: The rat being put to sleep at 'Pet & Vet' clinic, Guwahati

2 comments:

  1. Hey well written Azam, and sensitively too. Looking forward to the next post. Well you would't like it but we used to dissect rats and frogs in Biology class...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Vidhi for your comment.
    U are a Defence Journo but have dissected animals in school.
    That is how crazy our education system used to be earlier.
    Not any more.
    Thanks to the animal people who have fought to make dissection optional in schools in India

    ReplyDelete