Sunday, December 18, 2011

Baby Tragedy & the Steel Monster

Hello friends,

I am 'Baby Tragedy'.
This name was given to me by the lovely and caring mother of all elephants Dr. Dame Daphne Sheldrick.
She wanted me to share the story of my short journey to this world so that you good people out there can help me fight the battle against 'Steel Monsters' who have been making tragedies of our lives.


I was in my mother's womb sleeping when she was knocked down by a powerful 'Steel Monster' that night, forcing me to eject into this world prematurely.
The 'Steel Monster' then killed my aunt who was a little ahead.


The 'Steel Monster' supposed to be moving at only 20kmph in that elephant corridor which we used to transit between the Deepor Beel, Assam's lone Ramsar site wetland and the adjoining forests.
But see below the bolts in the track (more than seven of them) had bend down to almost 45 degrees due to the impact my mother was knocked down.

As soon as I was born my mom who was left seriously injured with a hip fracture dragged herself to the adjoining forest and was calling me from the hill. I was too weak to to walk and so the people came and wanted to help me reunite with mummy. But they came too late 6 hrs after the incident happened and then they were also shouting, making noise that scared both mommy and me. They wanted to help me but sadly they did not know how to.

I could barely see my mom in the jungle but her cries everyone could hear. She was so much in pain.


I was then tied with a rope and whisked away in a rickshaw to the Assam State Zoo which became my home. That was last I saw mom.


The ride was so bumpy and traumatic, I kept falling in that vehicle which served as a makeshift ambulance.


My aunt who lay dead was paid tributes by the local people who lighted incense sticks and prayed.
We are also respected in India as Gods you know.
After the tributes, another 'Steel Monster' (not the one that kills) came and dug a grave for aunt. She was buried after a postmortem. They do this to find out how she was killed.

Meanwhile my mommy was left unattended deep in the jungles. Many had forgotten about her and thought she was fine. But in a few days her hip injury turned worse and she had to hit the ground near 'Sattargaon' village.

The people of the village were so good, they all came out including children to try and help mommy.

But mommy was too weak to get up, so they made glasses of bamboo stem and carried water and banana plants for her.
The villagers informed some good animal people who put pressure within the authorities and the best Veterinarian was sent to see mommy. He found out that mommy would not recover and advised that she be put to sleep.

Meanwhile, I was loosing my battle for survival. I tried my best but just could not make it.
And less than a month after I was born, I too followed my mommy and left the world. I died of enteritis.

Dear friends,
that was my story- Baby Tragedy's true story.
We elephants are stronger that humans, but we do not have a voice as powerful as yours.
If my story has moved you then please do voice for me and my family.
Please share this with all your know.
Please make sure that the 'Steel Monsters' do not kill us any more.

Please write to the 'Steel Monster' guardians and do your best.
I know you will,


love,

Baby Tragedy.
___





1 comment: