Saturday, December 19, 2020

Ek Chhoti Si Dog Story

Sanket Upadhyay


THE HAPPY BEGINNING

My dog story started pretty much like the story of most middle class Indians.

We find the idea of having a dog in the family really attractive. We romance and flirt with that idea a little. Then we sit and watch thousands of youtube videos, share them with friends and families, and motivated by the awws and wows, decide to ‘buy’ a dog.

In my case, I got my two kids excited about dogs too. One fine day, we went to a shop in the mall (yeah, they sell dogs in malls too)

The kids spotted a 37 day old beagle pup. They obviously fell in love with him. And so did I.

This was the beginning of the rude realisation that one must never be impulsive about purchasing livestock – particularly dogs.

The dog was ‘purchased’ for a hefty sum. I was told that male pups go for a greater sum as they are ‘less complicated to handle later.’

I was told that I could get a female of the same breed for a few thousand less as ‘people usually do not go for them.’ I found it weird but the kids were pretty convinced they wanted the male pup they had in their hands.

This was the Diwali week of 2018. Kids named the beagle pup after their favourite ‘PAW PATROL’ character – Chase. We were yet to vaccinate him as we were told he is getting acclimatized to the new house.

 THE TWIST

Within 7 days of his stay with us, he stopped eating. Uncharacteristically Beagle, he was dull and tired. We took him to his first vet trip. He was given some injections – and boy that is not a pleasant thing to watch.

The doctor asked us to come again should things not improve – surely they did not. By now, it was clear and we were told in as many words that our Chase has Parvo Virus. I had no clue about this disease up until that day.

Even before I could google, the doctor had very politely told me to consult the shopkeeper and see if I can get Chase treated or exchanged. Now anyone who knows anything about dogs will know that they are not a washing machine or a fridge that you can ‘exchange’.

I was heartbroken.

I took Chase to the shopkeeper who after some impolite exchanges, agreed to admit Chase. There was radio silence for the next 10 days. Upon enquiring persistently, he suggested we take another beagle.

THE PAIN CONTINUES

I told the kids that Chase was missing his mother and has gone back. While Chase’ elder brother Bruno has kindly agreed to stay with us.

After a month and a half, I was handed a 3.5 month old beagle and told that his vaccination papers will be given within a week. 10 days later, a hand written note with absolutely no stickers or a file were whatsapped to me as a JPG image.

At this point, I had had enough. I asked the shopkeeper to take back the dog before kids get too emotionally involved with him. My children believe that Chase and Bruno are back with their mother because they did not like being with us.

I may have got my money back, but I swore I will never forgive the shopkeeper ever for forcing me to tell this to my children.

 May he get a special place in hell. For doing this to me and my children. And for doing this to the four legged creatures.

THE EMOTIONAL RECUPERATION

I refused to resign to fate. My repeated attempts, to convince myself that I am unlucky with dogs, failed. I wanted one in my life. Only this time, I was a year wiser.

I had promised myself the following things.

1.) I will not shop for a dog, I shall adopt one

2.) I shall make sure that the dog is old enough to outgrow Parvo 3.) I shall go for full checks and get a proper vaccination schedule.

4.) Health will matter, not the sex.

5.) Most importantly, I will love the dog – not its breed.

Point number 1 and 6 stuck in my head the most.

There is usually a taboo around our Indian Pariah. Indie as they are called. Over this last one year, I had spoken to enough experts, read enough reviews and generally observed enough to know that our friendly neighbourhood street dog is just as good, if not better, than any of the ‘foreign; breeds.

I had matured into balking at comments like ‘these are street dogs’, ‘they are not cute’, ‘they will never adapt to a house’ and above all else ‘kaat lega’.

MEETING THE GOOD GUYS

I approached a few dog shelters for adoption. This time, I was taking my own sweet time. There were some Indies as old as 2 who were up for adoption.

 This would have meant extra effort – both for the dog and for me – emotionally. I was suggested to go for an old handicapped dog. I feel no shame in stating that I let go of this opportunity too. The dog was at a good foster home and I could have ensured a guilt- free no.

The message that I was looking had been spread far and wide. This was a time I understood how deeply the good people have penetrated our universe. Dog enthusiasts, lovers, care givers are all one large community of angels in disguise. Perhaps these are the blessed meek who shall inherit the earth.

I was connected to Pallavi. My first interaction in the middle of my very demanding work schedule was almost like a friendly interrogation. The 15 minute conversation was direct yet probing. Polite yet firm. Courteous yet exacting.

WHEN I FIRST MET THE PHOOL-WAALI CHUTKI

After 15 minutes, I felt I had cleared some sort of an examination. I was granted access to the location of a little pup referred to in the conversation so far as the phool waali chutki. I was told that she was the only one left in that litter. All other pups were crushed under the wheels. We decided to meet the next morning. But the way the pup was described to me, I was pretty convinced that I have to go see her first.

I still remember that night. I finished work at 10.30 p.m. And drove straight from Greater Kailash to Top Breads in Sector 18 Noida – the place where I was told I would find her.

I parked my car right outside Top Breads to find 2 big and carelessly adventurous dogs – chasing every possible car. And then, from under a dirty rug placed over 2 pieces of stones, emerged our little phool waali. She was full of energy – even at 11pm.

The moment I came out of the car, I was greeted by the friendly phool waali but the two ferocious dogs around her started barking. They were presumably – mum and dad.

 Some pieces of Chicken kebab took care of them and they ran off behind a car, abandoning our phool waali chutki.

Pallavi later told me that she was given that name because she was born right next to a roadside florist. The tiny little thing charmed the florist and Pallavi’s maid to be subsequently called Chutki.

I was convinced – she is the one. May god give her strength to survive one more night.

CROISSANT VS BROWNIE

The next morning, Pallavi and I met outside Top Breads to find our lady kickstarting her day with an excited stretch. We took her to Doctor Anoop Pandey 's clinic in Sector 12 called VetsNPets. Not only did I discover that many from my profession in Noida choose him, what I liked most was his open door policy for Indie pups. It was only on that day that I learnt of some vets saying no to our Indian dogs – as the ‘brown sahebs with fancy breeds may not like it.’

Our girl was given a preliminary health check. And she was found to be absolutely healthy. It was exactly at that moment, I was reminded of the horror of the previous year.

I told Pallavi that I wanted a foster home for this girl. I want her to outgrow the Parvo fear before I took her home. I did not want the emotional burden of another pup with the deadly disease. She was sympathetic. So was Dr Pandey. He recommended Himanshu, his paravet, who stayed close to my house for fostering our pup.

As we dropped the pup to her new home, I thought of her name. I wanted the legacy of Phool Waali and Chutki to be alive but only in tales, not in her name. I was pretty convinced she will be called Croissant.

 I was incredibly proud of this name because :

1.) I came up with it.

2.) It fit her well as she was found outside a bread shop.

I took the news of the dog and her name home and then the following things happened. The thought that we will have a dog was accepted. The name wasn’t.

I lost the voice vote 5:1. The members of the house voted for the name Brownie. So that is who she is now – Brownie, The Indie Girl Pup.

MY THREE GOOD-DEED CHECK LIST

Brownie’s exact age is not known. But she is now above 4 months of age. She is a happy and satisfying choice for me. Not only is she energetic and responsive, she is intelligent enough to know how to behave with whom!

My mother is petrified of dogs so the pup knows her limits with her. She plays with the kids as if they are her pack. She messes around with me but falls in line if I scold her. She is always willing to show her excitement every morning and upon my return from work – this has been my biggest stress buster off late.

The baby has turned out healthy and has a remarkable fighting spirit – touchwood. She ticked all the 5 boxes on the promise I made to myself. But most importantly, she makes me feel proud of my choice. What I call, the three good deeds done by me in this life.

1.) Adopted. 2.) Indie.

3.) Female.

Pawsome!

No comments:

Post a Comment